Saturday, August 27, 2011

Dream On!

NOTE: This started as a blog Friday morning about 7:15 AM. My screen froze and I wasn't able to post it. Now that I remember, I'm doing so....but that should explain the discrepancy in time frame. lol


God woke me up this morning. Early. Normally, I wouldn't mind, but for the fact that I have been sick and fully intended to sleep until at least 9:30. But when it became obvious that He had something for me to say and would not stop divinely poking at me (despite my literal utterances of "five more minutes....PLEASE!") until I got up to write this blog, I figured do it and head back to my precious pillow.


That being said =)


Today we're going to talk more about dreams - you know, those pesky little deep desires of your heart that seem too big to accomplish. I think sometimes as Christians, we don't want to think about our dreams. Very often it appears that we are at the center of our dreams - and most of the time we are right. But consider some scripture for a moment:

Jeremiah 1:5 - Before I formed you in the womb I knew you, before you were born I set you apart, I appointed you as a prophet among nations. 


and later...


Jeremiah 29:11 - For I know the plans I have for you," declares the LORD, "plans to prosper you and not to harm you, plans to give you hope and a future.


I realize I may have used these before, but, unless the sickness is really getting to me, the point I will be making is different this time. 


I've spent a lot of my life trying to ignore my dreams and do what was proper or expected of me. I've quieted the urges I have,  I've even tried to cast them into the pit believing them to be a distraction. I'd look for a prophetic word trying to make sure that everything I was running away from and everything I was urging myself towards was "the right thing". But no such word ever came.


Then one day I asked a pastor friend of mine who I have looked up to since I was about 5 years old what he thought the reason for that might be. He told me this: "Monique, I love you and so I'm going to tell you the truth. Prophetic words are for people who genuinely have no idea what they're supposed to do or where they're supposed to go next. That's not your problem. You've always known what it is God wants you to do. Now you just have to act on it. You never received a prophetic word, because you never needed one." I walked away not knowing what to feel and it would be years before I knew what he was talking about.


My life scripture is Psalms 37:4 which says, "delight yourself in the Lord and He will give you the desires of your heart." But dreams? Really? And then this year I understood that verse in a whole new way. A wonderful friend of mine told me of a sermon she heard in which the pastor was talking about dreams. She told me that in this sermon, he spoke of the dreams that are nagging and overwhelming and how sometimes they are like whispers or prophecies from God into our hearts directing us and pointing us towards the future He has for us. 


That makes so much sense! Especially since I like to think of my life scripture as this: align yourself with the Lord and He will give you the desires of your heart. When you are aligned with God, His desires for you become your desires for your life. He wants to give you your dreams because He put them there in the first place.


So dream on! As Genesis 1:27 tells us, we are made in the very image of the Creator God....and there is NO bigger dreamer than He!


*can I go to bed now, God? thanks....zzzzzzzzzzz.......*

No comments:

Post a Comment